Saturday, January 9, 2016

Happy New Year!

Momma's Log January 8, 2016 (Kwrp)



Happy 2016! I hope every one of you is having an awesome year so far--and for those that aren't, I'm praying that things get better very soon (Hey! There's 51 more weeks--chances are good!).  As I write to you this morning, I am enjoying being inside a snow globe.  One of my favorite things about living in Colorado is the beautiful fluffy snow that visits us about every 3 weeks in the winter and then the sun comes out and it disappears--so you're never too long with the same ole same ole. It's been snowing on and off for the last 24 hours or so and it's beautiful!  On my morning walk it felt like I had just tumbled out of the back of a giant wardrobe and landed in Narnia.



I had a brief moment of panic last night when Super Rock Star announced that the roads were snow packed on his way home from work and with the snow still falling all I could think was:  "They won't cancel school will they?"


I know, I know.  What kind of Momma am I that I would WISH for my children to be out from under foot?  (I can almost hear my own Mom saying, "It all goes by so fast, you will be wishing for the noise, chaos, dirty underwear--o.k. I made that part up--some day) (Spoken with a wistful, quavery, forlorn voice) Yeah. I'm not there yet.  After 3 weeks of almost constant companionship, Lego building, cookie making, craft doing and kids movie watching-- I've been in need of a bit of space.  I knew that Super Rock Star was getting there too when he seemed a bit too eager to spend an afternoon on our roof top taking the Christmas lights down last week.
But, even when my husband and children are not in my home--they are still very much a part of my life.  Sometimes Super Rock Star needs me to pick something up for him or take care of some small annoyance that he can't get to since he's in meetings all day. (Today's joy is contacting our Internet provider since it goes out at least once a day and is turtle slow even though we upgraded to a faster speed just 3 months ago--spoken while gritting my teeth and my best dead eye stare).  And my boys--well they ALWAYS have left me something to do--laundry left strewn around, toys blocking the stairs.  My favorite though, has been my youngest--Grayson.  He has two VERY favorite stuffed animals--Baby and Den.

They are his children and they are very real to him.  Long before my boys were in school we would have a schedule we kept every day and it always included some sort of learning time, playing, sometimes video games on the iPad, maybe watching a TV show and nap time.  So, he has asked me to make sure I incorporate all of this for Baby and Den this week.  When I pick him up from school, he wants to know their progress and a full report on how they did.  It is the most precious thing EVER!




Nope--No sittin around eating bon bon's for this Momma.  Huh, I guess it's pretty obvious that I DO miss my family when they aren't here (posing your child's stuffed animals throughout your house might be a bit of a clue) (might be time to get a dog) (don't tell Super Rock Star that I said that).

Having a little quiet to myself is a good thing, but I also really love having some quiet time with the Lord.  When I spend time with the Lord--just He and I--reading His Word, praying for those I love, seeking Him for wisdom and discernment on how I can do this life better, I feel hope.  And when I feel hope, I feel joy, and when I feel joy I feel content, and when I feel content, I want to spend time with others and encourage those who desperately need it.  The negative voices in my head (my seemingly constant unwanted companions) want me to feel defeated all the time--always reminding me about my failures, shortcomings, and wanting me to hide from the world because who would ever want to be around such a useless, flawed  individual like me? But, God reminds me that I am loved and cherished ALWAYS by Him and that none of my human qualities and my tendency to be a little unsavory now and then (o.k. constantly) will EVER change how He feels about me. He loves me--period.  Redemption is just an ask away.  Forgiveness is constant.  The hope of change is forthcoming.

As we begin a new year and look forward with hope (I hope) to becoming more of whom we were created to be--a better parent, spouse, teacher, student, lawyer, politician (please. someone. anyone--take a stab at this one--will you?), friend, pastor, barista (God bless you and your gift for making delicious caffeinated beverages!), whatever you have been gifted at--I pray that this year will bring you giant leaps forward to following the dreams that were planted in you before the creation of this universe. I will be here if you need a cheerleader (with pom poms and a hearty "GO TEAM"!), friend, encourager, supporter, sounding board for your great ideas (I could REALLY use some) and especially if you just need a place to come and enjoy reading about my family adventures, lessons I learn as I attempt to figure out this being a wife, mom and decent human being thing, triumphs I enjoy when I learn something that works,  mistakes I make and what I hopefully learn from them, and mostly just stories from the daily blooper reel that is my life.



No comments: